Sunday, May 06, 2007

Technical Beats Aesthetic, Except When It Counts

I have observed on my own blog that the subjects that generate the most comments are those of a technical nature. On Luminous Landscape my third article, on improving one's photography has generated no comments or controversy at all. The number one subject at the moment - the smallest f stop for full size sensors - generating a whopping 135 replies. How could it possibly take that many comments/people to hash out such a mundane subject. Discuss composition or tonality and the responses are few.

I just feel glad that a number of you have provided very insightful comments and just plain benificial additions to my non technical entries and while there may not be dozens to each blog entry - those that are added are frequently illuminating to me, and I suspect you too.

It's possible to read the blog without even looking at the comments but I would encourage you to look at the blog with the comments for a richer experience.

Of course, it's always easier to recommend a tripod than to suggest how to fix boring photographs and probably most of us feel more confident recommending a camera model than advice on aesthetics.

6 comments:

Rudolf said...

It's because of medium - the Internet.
Browsing the net, there is much better chance to meet technicians then artists, I think.

Adrian said...

Keep the non-technical articles coming. I (and others) may not always agree with your conclusions, but it's hard to make a proper opposing argument to these subjects without getting down to personal beliefs and attacks to the value of the authors work. But I certainly enjoy reading your articles/blog and getting my thoughts provoked.

doonster said...

It might also be a question of fact over opinion. Technical mattes tend (not always) to deal in right/wrong answers. Your example of diffraction limits just shows that there are many ill-informed or unknowledgeable who respond despite not knowing the answers.
As to non-technical: this has a lot to do with opinion and sense of aesthetics. For me, unless a poster actual invites particular comments, I'd tend to leave well enough alone - there is no point havign an argument on mattes of personal taste; live & let live.

Anonymous said...

Hi George,
That's what I enjoy about visiting your site: it's more about artistic exploration than just pixels and zoom lenses. I found your series on the Luminous Landscape helpful and thought-provoking. I actually joined our local camera club as a result. Keep the the artistic stuff coming!

--- jerry grasso

Anonymous said...

I guess it makes sense that technical topics get more responses and interest than artistic topics. Almost everyone at any photographic level can relate to lenses and cameras, but talking subjectively about images and art is difficult. Most amateur photographers are not as interested in creating original art as they are duplicating what they have seen done by other photogs in magazines and on websites. Therefore, the topics about equipment and techniques are perfectly understandable...if not somewhat disappointing.

I appreciate the photo blogs, such as yours, George, that are what one blogger called the "thinking photographer blogs".

George Barr said...

Good points all. Thanks folks.

George