Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Grump About Camera Bags

When I shot 4X5 I had an ideal camera bag - it cost about $30, held my lenses underneath my camera, was backpackable but stood upright without risk of falling over, hell it even had wheels to roll it if I wanted. It had a pocket for 12 holders of unexposed, likewise for exposed and sev. other pockets for filters, cables, cleaning equipment etc. it was purchased in a discount luggage store. It was so good I bought a second one to replace the first when it wore out - one zip has gone a bit iffy but otherwise it's fine. I had to modify it by putting feet on it (wooden, screwed into roller support and that's what made it stable even on a 30 degree slope.

Now I'm shooting with a DSLR and so I followed the crowd and purchased a Lowepro bag. It gets dirty every time I put it down, and the bit that gets dirty is the part that then rubs up against me - ie. the back and the straps. It can't reliably sit upright. It can't be picked up safely without zipping it up all the way - I lost a lens learning that one. When my very heavy 1Ds2 sits on the top of the bag, it worms it's way downwards because the foam and velcro holders only work when the bag is completely full of equipment. That means you can't leave enough space for a long lens on the body. Larger lenses like my 24-70 are too fat to fit the length of dividers supplied and getting stuff out of the bottom involves undoing two zips and laying out the case, now getting another surface wet or dirty or both.

At 25+ lb. only a backpack makes sense but does anyone else have the same complaints, or more importantly does anyone have a solution?

8 comments:

Howard Grill said...

I totally agree with you, but I'm not sure there is a solution, at least I haven't found one.

I find that I need more than one bag. One for when I want to go out with everything, one somewhat smaller in size for only taking about 1/2 of my 'stuff' and a third that I haven't yet found. I wish there was a case that would fit my 1Ds2 with the 24-70 mounted on it and my 70-200 f2.8IS AND open and close from the top (not a backpack) and fit under the seat in a plane for easy travel....got one of those you could recommend?

Alan Rew said...

Re the problem of the back of the pack getting dirty, I carry a small groundsheet - this one is 6 feet by 3 feet, rolls up into a cylindrical shape small enough to put in a LowePro water bottle carrier that's attached to the side of my bag. It could be smaller, but that size is useful for putting other equipment on. Groundsheet bought from camping equipment shop, reasonably cheap.

Simon Griffee said...

I'm looking for a camera bag for traveling with a DSLR, lenses and a laptop. I'm leaning toward the Airport Antidote based on this review.

Chuck Kimmerle said...

It seems to come down to a compromise between accessibility and comfort. My old Domke bags lasted years (only went through three in 20 years) and was easily accessed while over the shoulder, but the single strap made for uncomfortable times. My Lowepro mini trekker is much more comfortable with heavier loads but has to be, as George said, put on the ground and opened up before gear can be removed. Then, it needs to be closed back up before changing locations.

Think Tank Photo has a new backpack that has a compartment that is removable and can be accessed while still wearing the pack, but it's pricey and, from my very limited experience playing with it (2-3 minutes), not very useful.

http://www.rotation360.com/

I've opted for comfort though, as I'm in my declining years (mid-40's) and not the pack mule I used to be.

Chuck Kimmerle said...

oops...forgot the tags

rotation360

Anonymous said...

I'm not a pro but I have a Crumpler Bag (several actually) that is great. Well built and can be modified with movable dividers and is very tough. I bought my collage student son one 3 yrs ago for a laptop and books and it still looks new after daily use-did I mention the collage student part. Anyway I'd check them out unless you like Metal suitcases.

DonovanCO said...

Has anybody had good results with the various fanny pack style bags? It seems that something that fits properly and which slides around to the front easily with top access could work. I have a waist pack by Marmot which fits very well, but is not designed to carry a camera and lens.

George Barr said...

For some time I used the Lowepro suspenders and belt system. It worked well with a 3 lens system and my 10D but by the time I had 5 lenses and the very heavy 1Ds2, I switched over. I would use it again with a little less equipment to carry.