Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Editing Never Stops




After writing about small changes and reading Andy's comment about the huge number of selections we have to make from before we shoot to well after, I decided to fiddle with this image a bit more. The new version is above, the old below.




Keep in mind that the lower one is in fact version 3, with each version having dozens to hundreds of adjustments made to it - for better or worse. I think I like the new one - but will have to live with it a while to see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I go through this process too: "finish" an image, live with it for a few hours up to a few days, and (you are right George) all problems with an image just get worse with time, so very often I have to re- and re-edit my better images. Most often I start noticing disturbing elements in the image that I didn't really notice during the last round of editing. I guess after 3-4 iterations I've corrected most of the obvious flaws.

And now to your newest image. I like the newer version better, at least the tones, colors and contrast. I find the image (larger version) oversharpened, and I wonder if the three very bright rocks in the right half of the image could/should be toned down or edited out.

Other than that, I find the reddish piece of metal in the lower-left corner a bit too strong and a bit too parallel to the composition. Wonder if a 1, 2, or 3 degree counterclock rotation would improve the composition and add a bit more space underneath the strong curve in the lower left. You probably stitched the image, so you should have quite a few extra pixels to play with.

I'm really enjoying your blog!