Tuesday, August 14, 2007

It's Official, Book Baby On The Way


I note that Rockynook Publishers now has my book listed as forthcoming so that makes it pretty official. The next milestone which should happen relatively soon is to see it listed on Amazon, and I'll let you know when it does.

The final cover will have the addition of foreword by Micheal Reichmann.

You can get a taste of the book by getting the latest fotoespresso online edition and scrolling to the essay Reading Photographs. This is one of approximately 45 essays in the book and is a substantial addition and modification of a blog entry and will give you a good idea of what the book is about.

I note that Rockynook has the book publishing date as October. I just a few minutes ago sent back chapter 1 to the copy editor with final corrections, 7 more to go, then we have to organize all the photographs, and some drawings, and create an index - so I'm hoping October and optimistic for before Christmas.

Not sure about ordering the book - I see that Rockynook has said the book is 200 pages - we'd originally agreed on 250 but preliminary estimates suggested smaller and cheaper. Final editing brought it back up and then some. Will Rockynook be changing the size (I hope so) and the price? - more than likely. Will they honour the current price if you preorder now and will that be any less than you can get it from Amazon once it gets listed - I don't know the answers to these questions but we're only talking $5-$10 here one way or another.

Guess what, I've read the book and I wish it had been there for me in the past. The topics are not radically different from sections of other books. The approach and practicality are I think a whole lot different and hopefully better and more useful.

Thanks all for your support and encouragement.

George

4 comments:

Andy Ilachinski said...

Let me be the first to congratulate you George! Wonderful accomplishment. Judging from all your posts here and elsewhere, this will surely be treasured by a generation of aspiring (and seasoned!) photographers. I'll be on line for my copy!

Anonymous said...

A lot of work on your part, George, but it sounds like a "must read". Good luck with the sales...

Also, what's the deal with the book cover? I love it!

---jerry grasso

Andy Ilachinski said...

George/Jerry: The cover shot is my favorite of what I've seen of your work (and I've sampled quite a few images). Indeed, I remember well when it caught my eye in a portfolio that was published in Focus Magazine a while back, and was the image that prompted me to look up your name on the web and eventually find your Blog. Its all the small nonlinearities / unpredictabilities in life, and art, that make it all interesting ;-)

Nevin said...

Congratulation!!! Can't wait to get a copy, even better if you have signed for me ;-)))))