Friday, August 25, 2006

Winch, Atlas Coal Tipple



And the original file is below. Actually again I shot multiple images and used Helicon Focus to blend 5 images to give full depth of field. I cropped the image to concentrate on equipment and not surround, I used the clone tool to take out the errant blade of grass which was distracting (not easy with the braided wire behind), adjusted saturation then used the Russell Brown method of converting to black and white with filtering to increase the contrast of the textures in the metal.

Some final dodging and burning and voila...

I'm not sure I have created the optimum cropping - I would have preferred more of the lower winch drum to show, yet found the grass in the bottom right distracting and the closer to square crop seemed stronger. I may well have another go at cropping - perhaps had I converted to black and white first then cropped I might have come up with an entirely different crop. No, I've just tried it and the above is the best.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you are right on the cropping. You got down to the essence of the image and got rid of very distracting fluff. It is all about those lines. Truncated circles are always completed in our minds anyway, so you just need the suggestion of that big circle shape at the bottom and getting rid of the grass really helps. Nice work.