Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Take The Shot While You Can





These four images have one thing in common. None can be photographed today.

Those rocks on ice were of course temporary - Spring Thaw and they were gone and I have never seen a similar phenomenon since (even though I drive by the spot daily on my way home from work).

The image of the lubricators are at an historic site gas plant, since shut down because the neighbours don't like it there - even though it was there well before the neighbours. No one is allowed in, the neighbours spy on the property to make sure and are quick to phone and complain if they see anyone.

The underneeth of the roadbridge is no longer there, removed to widen the road to 8 lanes. Not sure yet what will replace it.

The window reflections were shot from the top of a parking garage which has been knocked down to make room for a highrise in downtown Calgary so that view won't be available, except through glass, if at all.

The point is, it took me less than a minute to find four images which could not be taken today, it's a common phenomenon, no matter how permanent you might think the subject matter.

I remember years ago in rural Kentucky on my way to our trailer home outreach clinic, there was an absolutely classic old fashioned general store, complete with old signs that must have been 50+ years old. I drove by many times, telling myself I must photograph it - it was knocked down before I did. In Calgary there was a huge fertilizer plant that was ripe for photograhing - did I get in there before the end - no I didn't - major regrets over that one.

So, don't do like I did and tell yourself you should some day take that picture - get it while you can, you never know what might take the opportunity away from you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funnily enough, last weekend I went to re-shoot a picture I had taken a few weeks ago, hoping to re-frame slightly and eliminate some technical errors. When I got to my spot, I found that the sun was setting further to the right, and the light was completely different from how it had been before. Not only that, but some bushes that were bare twigs are now a mass of green leaves!

Maybe not lost forever, but until next year at least...

Beau A.C. Harbin said...

Funny you should mention this. I had a similar experience recently. Last year I had shot an old failing down barn near one of the fast growth subdivisions in our area. I drove by it the other day after not having seen it since my shoot. Lo and behold the barn has gentrified and made to look all nice and new. It has completely lost its charm and sad beauty. I am going to get some pictures soon to show before and after.

Anyway thanks for the timely post and great blog.

Keith Alan K said...

This has happened to me plenty of times. I'm not allowed to take photos of my girlfriend after dark because several of my night subjects disappeared within weeks--buildings demolished and trees cut down--we kid around that I'm jinxed, but I'm just glad I got my photos in time, a lesson learned the hard way. Thanks for spreading the word with examples--it made for a more dramatic lesson. Well done.