Thursday, October 02, 2008

Photokina

Just back from our trip and thought I'd jot a few notes about experiencing Photokina. Much as it's a big circus - it's a well run one. 10 buildings, multiple connections, lots of walking, goodly sized isles, too bad about the smokers lined up along the sides and at the doors.


I enjoyed looking at hundreds of exhibit images from historical to student work, some of it excellent. There was a display of 1930's movie theatre photographs, made on 8X10 and printed digitally on Epson Traditional - they looked wonderful though I discussed the display with the owner of the studio which had the negatives and he still felt that an 8X10 contact print was dramatically better than een these lovely scanned and inkjet printed images. I must check into this paper now that I'm home.

Didn't bother getting near the Canon 5Dii display and what would have been the point in touching it - not exactly a religious experience. I did on the other hand have a look at the Panasonic G1 since I feel that electronic viewfinders are the future and mirrors bouncing is history. I was very impressed - nothing like your typical didicam EVF - it was bright (brighter than real life which didn't hurt shooting indoors, focused confidently and fairly fast, and panned beautifully (which previous EVF's never did). This is the future, people! As displayed the camera was still fairly bulky and I can't see anyone rushing off to replace their DSLR but see no reason why small lenses and a slim body can't be made.

Leica had a nice wooden S2 on display - wonder if it comes in light oak?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

George. Enjoyed your photokina comments, ESPECIALLY the light oak Leica.
What a wag!

Andy Ilachinski said...

George, as I'm sure otehrs have, I greatly missed your almost daily posts (indeed, my coffee drinking decreased quite a bit from your trip, since I spent much less time perusing the web as a consequence;-)...but, I must ask, why dis you not bother visiting the 5DII display?!? I must admit almost drooling over the possibility of DS3 performance in a vastly more affordable package. I would *love* to have seen it, felt it, smelled it, and...there I go drooling again. A bit more seriously, did you pick up any tidbits on the 5D2?

George Barr said...

When I found out they weren't giving out free samples I lost interest. Looks like the 5D2 is going to be a huge seller if orders are anything to go by.

I wonder if any of us are going to become movie makers because of it - seems unlikely but that may be like saying I can't see how computers could be useful or who'd want a cellphone so the future is going to be interesting.

George