Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Graffiti



Found this door on my meanderings in Germany. Of course it raises questions of originality when the painting was done by someone else. Arguably the painter didn't anticipate the passage of time and the stripping of paint especially noticeable in the dark areas but really, is that enough? I console myself with the knowledge that photographers have been shooting graffiti for years. Ansel himself was known to do it as was Walker Evans and many of the greats.

Perhaps the best way to think about it is that when photographing a flower, I cannot take credit for the beauty of the flower, only for how I posed, lit, framed and printed the image, which is what I did here. Gee, maybe I can stop feeling guilty.

2 comments:

Blotz said...

Plus, I'm sure the original artist used colors!
;)

Nice shot.

George Barr said...

Oddly enough he didn't. it was black spray on a white door.

George