Saturday, November 15, 2008

Wokring The Scene






It's a bright overcast morning today, quite warm for November and very little wind - ideal photographing weather. I decided to start out by photographing the dead plants in my own back garden. I was attracted to the light iris leaves lying in interesting patterns and tried several compositions. I think they are ok but am bothered that the patterns aren't as strong as I would have liked, nor the image as uncluttered as would photograph best - a matter of the eye and brain being able to ignore the unimportant while the camera pays equal attention to all.

The other thing against these images is that frankly, it isn't very original and even if technically competent, the images don't have a huge amount to offer. The grasses in an old oak barrel with the horseshoe of snow I found more interesting, more original (remembering that nothing is ever totally original in photography). I'm not sure that the image doesn't need more contrast - it looks a bit flat in my web browser, but it might print very nicely = time will tell.

Anyway, not a bad start to the day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is the spelling of the title of this post ("Wokring") what you intended?

Perhaps it is a lesser known Wagner opera?

Cheers.

George Barr said...

Wokring is a Chinese term and refers to circling the subject, gradually getting closer, spiraling inwards, like a marble thrown into a wok.

George

Anonymous said...

George,

Must be a new term, as I cannot find it in my Chinese dictionaries. However, a Google search revealed that the Chinese even have special gloves for this practice:

http://www.madeinchina.com/2718623/S1679482/100-Cotton-Wokring-Gloves.shtml

Yerz,