Thursday, November 06, 2008

Voting With Your Wallet, Or Not

Perhaps I'm unique (though experience suggests not) but there are a lot of images I admire that I am not necessarily willing to pay for and there are very few images out there that I would be willing to fork over large sums of cold hard cash for, and of those most are just out of my price range. Yes, I could in theory purchase Pepper # 30 for $10,000 - a print made by Cole Weston, still currently available even though he passed away a few years ago, Edward of course having died in the 1950's. I'd have to forego the repair to our back deck, the one with the holes in it, that has needed replacing for several years, and no doubt my wife would kill me - so it won't be happening any time soon and the price seems to magically go up as I earn more, always just a little out of reach.

But getting back to images which remain affordable, which I could purchase without going to the bank first - why is it I don't buy one of these every few months over the years so that by now I have a collection of perhaps 100 fine images.

Well, I could make the argument about lack of wall space - but I could always rotate the prints. The cost of framing is an issue and storing framed images is frankly a pain - they are so easily scratched, but these are really excuses. The truth is that I don't have an especially strong desire to OWN most of the images I admire - it's enough to see them in print.

What does this say to my commitment to photography? Does it mean I really don't have my heart and soul involved with photography? I don't think so. Knowing that most photographers own few images I suspect I am in good company.

If this is common, then what does it mean when we value great images so little that we are unwilling to spend money to own them? I think there are several things going on here.

1) variety
2) got it, now move on
3) repeat rather than continuous
4) quality of reproduction and the nature of photographs

Truth is, it doesn't take long to "get" a photograph - we are incredibly visual creatures and we can get most of what an image offers in a split second and 99% within 15 seconds - so why would we want to linger? It's like reading a joke, you get it and you move on.

We crave variety - we want to look at other images - in most situations we can come back to the ones we particularly like. Most photographers would find it pointless and probably painful if they "had" to look at an image they like for fifteen minutes straight.

I have written in the past about how sometimes when you are photographing, the first recognition of the image is exactly the right one and no further positioning and fiddling will improve the initial seeing. While this happens only occasionally when photographing, it happens all the time when looking at images - after all, it's too late to change anything, what's in the image is all you get - and you get it in that same quick glance, recognizing the rightness of the image - even though it could take you some time to analyze why it's right.

There are problems with purchasing an image apart from the pain in the pocket book. Buying an image implies that you are not allowed to change your mind, not just about the photographer, but about which particular image is best. The best image may only be best this afternoon. Tomorrow in a different mood I may have made an entirely different selection - but of course I only purchased one image. Often it can be so difficult to decide which image to buy of a handful of favourites, that if you can't have all, it's better to have none (and see them in a book or on the web or whatever).

And let's not forget the baser motives - like most of us would rather spend money on a new camera or lens than a print and lacking infinite funds so we can do both, well...

From a practical point of view, we can buy several books containing hundreds of images for the price of a single print, which hasn't yet been framed.

Would it be reasonable to take all of the above to it's absurd end and decide that no photographers should purchase any prints? I don't think so. Having a dozen or so really good prints around from our betters is a very good idea. Sure book reproduction is much better than 20 years ago, but having some prints as a reference point is a good idea. It's also good to support fine art photographers, especially people who have helped us - often we purchase prints when attending workshops. Paying for some prints also says something about your commitment to your art but I doubt that purchasing 27 really says a whole lot more than purchasing 15.

6 comments:

G Dan Mitchell said...

Interesting article, but I disagree with one point you make: "Truth is, it doesn't take long to "get" a photograph - we are incredibly visual creatures and we can get most of what an image offers in a split second and 99% within 15 seconds - so why would we want to linger? It's like reading a joke, you get it and you move on."

We _think_ we "get" an image in 15 seconds, but we most certainly do not get it entirely if it is a really great image. I've had this experience with several fine photographs by quite different photographers. I'm thinking of two images right now.

One is a Jeff Wall photograph that I was lucky enough to view "in the flesh" during the last year. I've forgotten the precise title (and I'm too lazy to look it up at the moment... ;-) but it is an image of children at a party with balloons and a dummy. I looked at this photograph for a good 15 minutes, seeing more and more as I looked at it. Then I came back for another 15 minutes and soaked up even more. I can't say that I totally got everything in it even at that point.

Another experience really took me by surprise. I've known of Ansel Adams for decades - my father actually took me to a talk by him in the 1960s! So I knew and know many of his iconic photographs. A year or two ago I was on an airplane flight and happened to pick up the in-flight magazine and was idly thumbing through it when I came across the iconic photo of the face of half dome in partial shadow. I won't go into the details, but I "saw" this photo in a way that I had never seen it before - and in an advertisement, no less!

So, no, I don't think that we "get" photos in 15 seconds. :-)

Dan

George Barr said...

G. Dan makes a good point. A really good image can show you things even weeks or months into viewing it on your wall, and of course once you see it you can't understand why you didn't before. The problem of course is you won't know for months of ownership whether this is going to happen. This might well be the criteria for purchasing an image - that unlike so many others, you realize you didn't fully get it in 15 seconds and you keep getting more out of it as the weeks pass and you'd really like to have it up on your wall. I think though that these are the exceptional images, the best of the best. These are the images that only a handful of photographers ever make more than one or two of in their entire lives.

I'd be interested in why G.Dan and the rest of you think that so few photographers buy photographs and only in modest numbers for the most part.

George

Anonymous said...

I'll just come out and say it: I've never purchased a photograph from someone else.

After a long thought about this, I guess it comes down to I've yet to see a photo that has moved me to the point I want to have it on my wall as a constant display. I'm very much a photographer of the digital era and I've taken thousands of photos over the last few years, but I've only had 4 properly printed, and only 2 of those actually framed (they're behind my desk in my office).

I do have a hundred or so shrunk for display on a screen as my screensaver, and a couple hundred in my flickr page but not printed, and not on a wall.

Perhaps it's because photo prints for me growing up were snapshots of an event... a strange mushroom in the backyard, a nice sunrise out of the front window. They got processed down at the drug store into 4x6's, looked at, then left in their envelope in a drawer. There was NO "art" to my photos. Now that digital has come along, I've switched gears and force myself to not just take a snapshot. However, even when the outcome is inspiring to me, I haven't been moved enough to get it printed. Let alone actually pay for someone else's photos.

What I'm curious to know is, what do you do with all of your prints? I couldn't begin to imagine the quantity of photos you've taken over your 40 years of photography, or what you would do with all of them.

Anonymous said...

For me, a graduate student with a photography habit, it comes down to economics. I can hang out at the book store and buy well-printed books (usually on seconds) many times over for the price of one print. Furthermore, the economics of which will bring more enjoyment to me, a new lens/set of flashes which will expand my abilities and allow me to further my craft, versus one print which I cannot even afford to get professionally framed. . .

That said, I have purchased (small) prints, when the price has been modest as fits my income, and posters of high reproduction quality, as a sort of poor-man's large print (don't need to frame them, either). I have a directory of photos on my computer of photos by other people which I use for inspiration, aflickr favorites file, and links to their websites. I currently do not print much, as I am working on the in-mind, in-field, in-camera, and in-lightroom/photoshop aspects of my photography, having no avenue to disseminate prints and no viewership larger than my weblog/flickr/facebook.

I like to see a lot of photography, and the economics of prints just don't work for me. Doesn't mean I don't love to see them in museums and galleries.

George Barr said...

I'll save the discussion of what to do with 40 years of prints for another day but Sean raises some interesting points - prints are damn expensive for the most part, absurdly so if we are talking inkjets. He also points out that there are other sources for looking at images which weren't there in years past - more posters and of course on line - and even a lot more books of dramatically better printing quality - there just isn't the same need to have prints.

George

Mike Mundy said...

I am always late with comments, alas.

I own photos by Max Yavno, John Sexton and Alan Ross. Bought a long time ago, actually.

True, I wouldn't be able to really "look" at any of these for 15 minutes straight. However, I rather like them just for their value as beautiful objects. Think of a Chinese vase, or a Japanese tea ceremony cup. In this respect they give pleasure, if only for a fleeting moment as I pass by.