Saturday, May 27, 2006

Raw Processing Choices

I have been writing a four part article on black and white in the digital world, and wrote that I have only used Camera Raw. Uwe Steinmuller, for whom I was writing the article (Outback Photo) had recommended I check out Raw Developer (available for Mac only from Irident Digital).

I had argued that fussing with more software takes me away from my camera, but it's been pouring rain all day so this evening I decided I had to have a look - boy, the images sure do look different from Camera Raw which has a distinct painterly look to it when making big prints. Raw Developer images do appear to hold low contrast detail better. If you only look at high contrast edges there is no advantage to Raw Developer, but if you study the lower contrast areas, there seem to be significant advantages to Raw Developer.

That said, the smoothness of the Camera Raw image is in some ways more appealing and although painterly, doesn't look as 'grainy' as the Raw Developer processed image.

Frankly, this is a hassle, I don't want to deal with two raw processors. I know that for normal size prints (300 dpi of real pixels (not upsized) Camera Raw is great, for images larger than this, everything is a compromise and I think it comes down to what kind of compromise do you want - do you want the smoothness of the Camera Raw image or the fine low contrast detail of Raw Developer but which leaves the image looking 'grainy'. Sigh...

Camera Raw


Raw Developer

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm now using Raw Developer and Capture One as alternates becasue they give really very different results. Pretty much like your finding really.

I very much like RD for monochrome conversions.

I've written quite a lot about RD. You can find links to the main parts on the Iridient products page:

http://www.iridientdigital.com/products/

Other parts are more of interest to Olympus users:

http://www.auspiciousdragon.net/E1blog/rawdeveloper.html