Thursday, May 04, 2006

Why 4X5 Didn't Work For Me

The other day I did some math - turns out that with digital I shoot about 100 shots to get one decent image - not a world beater, just a decent shot. This is for either black and white or colour. Were I to limit myself to black and white, the success rate would be lower as not all shots work in black and white and despite previewing and viewing filters and all, it doesn't always translate.

In the days when I shot only black and white 4X5 film, a very busy day I might expose 20 sheets of film, though 12 was a more normal number. Think about this, if my success rate when I can use either colour or black and white is 1 in a hundred, that means I'd have to photograph at least 5 different days to get one decent image - now I see why I kept puting down my camera, sometimes for years at a time, and why since I went digital and started working with colour as well as black and white, I'm having a whole lot more fun and more success.

No comments: