Thursday, January 11, 2007

From 2004 Algonquin Workshop



I'm as lazy as the next fellow, actually probably quite a bit lazier.

But:

Whem I'm on a workshop, I work - I photograph before the others get going and I'm out there after and when the rest huddle in the car because it's raining, I'm out there anyway. Workshops are too short to sit around complaining about the weather not being right.

On the Algonquin workshop, the above image was shot on the last day of the workshop. Two of us got up before sunrise and headed into town to photograph a waterfall. We were back in time and with a good appetite to join the others for breakfast.

Another day, we were in Algonquin itself and it was raining. Michael had already told us our cameras could handle the rain so why not get out there. I saw some lovely cliffs across a small lake and was the only one to get out and photograph it (5 images stitched for a rock face panorama with fall trees in the foreground). That one image has made me over $1000 in sales. Sure was worth getting wet for.

Fred Picker once said that you could count on the best image coming from the most uncomfortable position - wet - cold - sore - cramped - or if you were really lucky, all of them at once.

Ask yourself how much effort you put into your photographs? Are you up before dawn, in the right place before the light is right. Do you take the shot but check around to see if there is an even better one?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, good pep talk to me as I head out to a Santa Fe workshop with Jay Maisel and I have suddenly realized that "yes" I am going to a 7,000 foot elevation site in the winter and what was I thinkig anyway. Sigh...

Gotta get out my warm clothes and just do it!