Friday, January 12, 2007

Not Every Image Makes Sense


I like this image. I can't figure out why. It should be a cliche, it's very ordinary, the colours and tones don't glow, butI like the way the near wheel sweeps round and the far wheel curves the opposite way. I like the rusty fittings and that 'sawblade' adjuster thingy. The lighting is absolutely perfect - not dull and flat but not sunny either - must have been some thin cloud in the right place. It's a peaceful image but the equipment is interesting, there are some nice lines to it - note the spokes of the near wheel splaying one way, the far wheel the other. I like the back edge of the wagon ending just before the edge of the picture on the right.

I should be bothered by the asymetrical positioning of the wheel at the sides of the print but I'm not - I actually have other shots with the wheel centred or leaning to the other side, but this one worked for me.

This image also points out that you need to keep an open mind and open eyes. I went to the spot to photograph a canyon and this old farm equipment lying in a field caught my eye.

2 comments:

Mark said...

I have encountered similar situations where I try to recompose a symmetrical object because of various 'rules' floating around in my head. Quite often, the symmetrical object WANTS to be symmetrical in the photograph as well.

Anonymous said...

What about a BW version of this image. The structure in the wood just cries to be "opened up"...