Saturday, March 03, 2007

Misery Loves Company




I was supposed to go out photographing this morning with a friend. Last night I walked the dog and it was pleasant walking but cold enough I thought standing around photographing was going to be less than fun. I checked the weather and it was forecast to be windy - we were shooting landscapes.

Had it not been for going with a friend, likely I would have slept in this morning. Because I was going with a friend, each of us encouraged the other and the net result is we got up early and headed out in the dark.

At one point the wind was blowing about 60 klicks (40 mph). the snow was blowing hard and had I been on my own I would have headed home. Instead we stopped the car and attempted to photograph the blowing snow - no great shots, but we felt good having done it. At one point my hat blew off and half a mile later I found it at the bottom of a hollow.

With considerable misgivings we drove on to Big Hill Springs Provincial Park, fully expecting the wind to put the brakes on any photographing. To our surprise, we turned the corner, dropped into a ravine - no wind. Not only that, the weather warmed up and we have a lovely morning photographing an icy stream.

About half way through the morning I decided to get brave and enter the water to photograph the ice from a better angle - must have been a warm spring feeding the stream because it wasn't that bad. I spent the next two hours wading around in foot deep water having a blast.

Point is, there were several opportunities to duck out of this shoot and decide it wasn't worth it - too cold, too windy, but because we were going together, there was no question of letting the other fellow down - and off we went.

1 comment:

Paul said...

All of that blowing snow makes these scenes look like sand blowing across a desert.

Great story. It's always nice when we go to shoot, encounter obstacles, such as weather, and still come back with the 'goods'.