Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Tripod Centre Columns

Photographers tend to either be strongly for 'em or not.

The argument against centre columns is that it encourages the use of an essentially unstable camera position - at the end of a long pole.

I see things this way. I buy a tripod which can go to eye height without any use of the centre column - I think this is very important - odd when so many reputable tripods don't. I then use the first two inches of tripod column for minor height adjustments on occasion (perhaps 5% of my photographs). I figure this much column isn't a big deal.

On rare occasions, I use the full height of the column to get past an obstruction - significantly less than 1% of my pictures - but the only way to get an image sometimes.

On my Gitzo 1348, there are no stability issues with the existence of the centre column, only it's use - on those rare occasions when I use it more than a couple of inches, I need an absence of wind and give the camera longer than usual to stop vibrating.

The only real downside to the centre column has been the fact that the camera can't get as low to the ground as I'd like. I have even considered cutting the column short (exc. that I do use the full height in rare cases).

As my routine is to set up the tripod so the camera is at least at eye hight without any centre column application, I'm not tempted to rely on the centre column to do things I should have done with the legs.

So: buy a tripod that can go to eye level without help from the centre column, then it's your choice whether to use one or not, for special occasions only. If you do a lot of low work, I'd not have a centre column - eg. someone interested in flower photography (not unless it was one of those tripods which can mount the centre column horizontally). Find yourself standing on 45 degree slopes, you might just want that centre column.

4 comments:

Paul said...

George, the problem that I've found is that it is difficult to find a tripod with a height of about 72 inches (183 cm), which would put the camera at my eye level.

I never use my center column because of the stability issue. So, I just use the good old back muscles, bend over, and take the shot. Sometimes, if there is a nice stone wall, or other platform, I'll stick the tripod upon it and take the photo. Otherwise I just miss the shot OR try to figure out a work around.

Mark said...

Good words of advice George.

For Paul - I just upgraded my Gitzo 1348 to a newer new 6X, anti-twist lock version. The newer model number is the GT-3540XLS. Since they did not produce an equivalent to the 1348 - they have one that is has a taller max height, with better load rating.

It was just delivered today - it is nearly tall enough for me with only 3 leg sections extended. So I will probably use about 3-4 inches of the lower leg sections. But fully extended, the camera is over my head - and I am 6'7". In fact, I think I'll post a note on my blog about it now.. :)

Chuck Kimmerle said...

I love that new version of the Gitzo's in which the legs do NOT twist as that makes locking and unlocking much, much easier. Unfortunately, my 1228 is only a couple years old and I cannot justify getting rid of it just for the new leg set.

Anonymous said...

with the column reversed you may have better luck with those low-level exposures