Friday, October 11, 2013

Round The Corner


We've been in Waterton National Park for the last week. At the base of Red Rock Canyon, a second stream joins up, and following that upstream a hundred yards takes one to this interesting rock formation. The shot was made with my Zeiss 15 mm. lens and a series of five images for focus blending (the bottom left corner is inches from the lens). The furthest focused image was used for the water (focus blending does odd things to moving water). Why blend with such a wide lens? Well, even f16 would not have covered the bottom left corner to infinity and the lens is sharper at f10 as shot here.

This really is an amazing lens and while I could have used the flexibility of the 14-24, I think I made the right decision.

Interestingly, I'm not sure that I made the same right decision to go with primes for my 35, 50 and 85 mm. lenses. Yes, they are unquestionably better than Nikon's 24-70, but the flexibility for framing would have been very handy.

In many shots in this area, I was standing at the top of a small cliff and had little opportunity to change position, or there was one best position compositionally, and none of the lenses quite had the right coverage.  I think I might be willing to sacrifice resolution for perfect framing.

No comments: