Sunday, July 30, 2006

Returning To The Scene Of The Crime


Yesterday I didn't have a lot of time (promised the wife we'd go out to a movie - The Devil Wore Prada - I liked it, she didn't), anyway that pretty much determined that I'd stick around town. I could have checked out a new spot but I hadn't done much photography lately and didn't want the spot to turn out to be a dud so I chose a location I'd had success at before.

I think this is a strategy that can sometimes be useful, though it should be combined with exploring new territory.

The advantages to returning to a previously successful spot are several - you know how to get there - it can't be a complete wipeout - perhaps you will see something even better than before or at least different - it's efficient - it gets your day off to a good start - arriving at a different time, day, season means the original shot probably isn't even there and it's like working the scene all over again.

The downside would be if you only ever returned to successful spots and didn't push your boundaries, but if you have time and it's on the way, there's nothing wrong with stopping off at a known spot before going on.



Next blog I'll discuss the process of working this particular spot.

No comments: