Monday, October 09, 2006

Last Day Of Holidays-Finally Internet Access

If I hold the computer up just so and keep my knees crossed, I can mostly get wireless connected. Have been shooting every day - thumbing though the images on my Epson 2000 (forgot to pack the connector for the 2000 to the computer so most of the images exist only on the portable drive - sigh and hope...

If only I could skip all the crap images and concentrate on the few out of hundreds of images which are winners - then I could shoot with an 8X10 - but I know me - if I were slowed down that much, I'd spend all my time working on marginal images trying to make them work - moving the camera around, changing lenses, tilting, shifting, rotating the back, hoping for better light, for a miracle.

It would mean I'd never get to the few keepers I have managed to find. As it is most have been shot with my new 24-70 or less often the 70-200 (a reverse of my usual lens use) and a fair number have been taken with my 90 ts-e.

I could really have used a 45 ts-e and can see purchasing that at some point in the future.

Here's a breakdown of my lenses I carried and how much I used them on this trip to the west coast of Vancouver Island then on to Hornby Island on the other side of Vancouver island (no surf, incredible rocks).

17-24 - now only used at 17 since i have the sharper 24-70 - used it a dozen or so times - definitely still useful - but since I only use the 17 would make sense to replace it some day with a sharper lens.

24-70 - shot about 1/2 of the images, relying on stopping down to f16 for adequate depth of field at the wide end and shooting multiple images with changing focus for future blending at the longer focal lengths (either manually or with Helicon Focus).

90 ts-e - used about 1/5 of the time - often as a three image stitch using both tilt and shift left and right for a square image of 25 MP.

70-200 - about 1/5 of the time - just the nature of the kind of scenery I was photographing and problems of getting adequate depth of field - at the coast things are near to far - not uniformly medium distance.

300 - took a few snapshots of the surf but basically didn't need it - would remove it in the future - perhaps even sell it - but it's so darn sharp - we'll see.

Lenses I wish I'd had - just the other two ts-e tilt and shift lenses - or an 8X10 camera - or if I ever win the lottery, a medium format view camera and medium format digital back - hey I can dream can't I?

No comments: