Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Weather

With 72 mm. (almost three inches) of rain in two hours last night, I had to work but should have been out photographing. Water makes so many surfaces more photogenic, yet as a group we like our comforts and don't tend to photograph in the rain. Those few who venture out reap the rewards.

Perhaps you might want to organize now for photographing in the rain - plastic covers for the camera, suitable gear for yourself so you can see and stay relatively dry (you're more waterproof than the camera).

Rain storms can provide some wonderful light - especially just as the storm starts to clear. Wet roads become rivers of silver, trees turn inside out in the wind and rain, rocks that on a dry day are dull suddenly gleam, even concrete becomes more interesting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hear, hear!

After a miserable weekend I ventured out on Monday, not knowing if the constant drizzle would stop or not - and was rewarded with a gorgeous assortment of patterns and textures and colours in a garden full of rain soaked plants & flowers at Powerscourt (just south of Dublin). I resolved to kit myself - and my gear - out with waterproofs of some description because I know what's out there for the taking now!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieodonnell/530447809/

George Barr said...

Julie:
some very nice images - well worth getting wet over. Made my point nicely. Guess I'll now have to get off my derriere.