Sunday, July 20, 2008

Takkakaw Falls


Near Field, B.C. on the TransCanada Highway, I have never before visited Takkakaw Falls. A real treat and more spectacular than I had been expecting. There was a tricky switchback on the way up (how the heck a full sized bus made it up I'll never know).

I had doubts about the image since, veiled by mist, there isn't anything darker than about middle gray, nor much lighter than light gray. I could easily have restored the full range of tones, totally destroying the dreamy effect of the original. Portraying atmosphere effectively is not easy, whether it be fog, snow storms, heavy rain or as in this case, spray. I don't have any answers for you - I'm learning as I go.

It's a bit like sculpture - take a rock and remove anything that isn't David (or whatever you aimed at). Here you adjust to produce a good print, while not taking away from the atmosphere.

3 comments:

Markus Spring said...

wonderful atmosphere captured in this shot, reminds me of romantic painters. That misty light together with the strong compression through the tele lens captivates in a very unique way: it draws me in but still keeps reserved, the fog not revealing everything but just parts.

George Barr said...

Thanks Marcus. Photographing atmosphere is a whole genre of its own, something I need to do more often.

George

Anonymous said...

The tour buses get up there by going up to that first sharp turn then backing up for the next length, at which point they are in the right direction to continue on up. :)

I found the falls tough to shoot mostly because of the spray when you get closer.