Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Reviews, The Good, The Bad And The Ugly

Can't remember which one of you warned me on completing my book to stand prepared to be shot down in flames in criticisms. For sure that has come to pass. Fortunately there are more comments that are positive and I'm coping just fine thank you - nothing like selling out the first run of 5000 to immure you from those who would put you down.

Still, it's interesting to consider the negative comments:

I did not see a single image that I thought "I wish I had taken that". I think this book is a waste of money.


One wonders what kind of photographs this person does like. Perhaps he only does sports or people or street photography but it's hard to believe that such a person wouldn't find something of interest, even if only to say, I could have done better with that subject.

The following two comemnts make an intersting pair:

The author provides no insight into his thought process in either composition or technique.

However -- that's all the book is about, HIS images. He does talk about inspiration -- HIS inspirations.


Some criticised the photographs while approving the text while others liked the text but didn't think the pictures were up to snuff.

Some thought my writing pretentious while others praised the relaxed casual and comfortable style.

The good news is that I also had comments like the following:

At first glance, I had a hard time learning to see the beauty in the art that is industrial photography. When I first got this book in the mail, I looked through its pages and was disappointed, thinking "how can I make myself read this if I don't even like the pictures?" Coming from someone that loves impressionism, this shouldn't be hard to understand.
But knowing George's writing already from the Luminous landscape site, I thought there must be something more to this book, and started reading. I'm so glad I did! The clear writing style kept me interested--and as a result a whole new way of making photographs has been revealed to me. He gives excellent advice and already my creative process has benefited from reading his book. This will forever be in my photographic library. I can't wait to re-read it when in need of inspiration and ideas.

As a side-note, I'm now hooked on the beauty and challenges of industrial photography. A whole new genre of photography has been opened up to me. I highly reccommend this book--its a gem!


And I received this email from Mark:

Hi George,

I was so impressed with the lines and corners part of your book 'Take your Photography to the Next Level' I went out and gave my self a project. Here is the result, if you are interested:
Exercise Images

I also showed an AV version to the folk at my camera club to illustrate the point.

It only lasted a few minutes and I asked them to see if they could detect what all the images had in common. They couldn't see it straight away but eventually it clicked. Some were so impressed they asked me for details of your book, which I gladly passed on. Look out for more book orders from Northern Ireland!

So thank you for your book, you have taken me to the next level and also introduced me to the Radiant Vista and so much more.

Best regards

Mark



Now I have learned some things from writing the book. It would have been better had we been able to include the classic images I refer to in the text however the publisher wasn't prepared to put in the time to sort that out, possibly delaying the book for months and I entirely understood. Given all the images are readily avaiilable on the net, this is not the problem it once was.

I should perhaps have put more effort into indicating that my suggestions were illutrated with my own photography, limited to rocks and rust - though anyone could have checked out my website before spending the money, so...

In my second book, I have included people pictures but the book will remain devoid of sports, nudes, advertizing, and product photography simply because I have neither experience or skills in those areas.

All in all, an eye opening experience.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Just when I promised myself I'm not going to buy a new book until I finish the ones I'm already reading (3, in this case)...
I'm getting yours today.

Anonymous said...

I, for one, thought your book was great. With any book, the reader is subject to the authors selection of images. While the rock photos didn't necessarily "do it" for me, the overall selection of images in the book was a welcome departure from what I have been seeing in all the other books I have been reading (it's been a lot lately). I put your book right up there with "Learning To See Creatively" because it helped me to further look at things differently. Also, for some reason, it helped validate in my mind that it is ok to take advantage of the tools you have - Helicon Focus, pano stitching tools, whatever. That seems to still be a matter of debate, and I guess you gave me the answer I was looking for. I am very pleased to hear you are writing another book. As great as the Internet is, it's nice to sit down with a good book and learn something new (this coming from a web developer by trade).

Anonymous said...

George,

You probably don't need more accolades but just in case here's one more. I am constantly recommending your book to friends. It has become one of my go-to books for inspiration and keeping my head in a creative space.

Looking forward to your next one.

Cheers,
Alex

Hong CN said...

George, in fact, I'm half way finishing your book. Temporarily I can't tell which level I'm going to improve. But one thing I can be very certain is - I look at normal object differently in terms of angle, texture and details. I will still re-read the beginning few chapters. Go through the images you try best to explain :-)

Thanks very much. Looking forward from your next book :-)

Take care and have great days

From Hong CN (Penang, Malaysia)