Friday, August 18, 2006

Black and White From Jura Canyon



The first few images didn't seem to work in black and white even though the colour was minimal - this one seems to work just fine in black and white. A manual blend of two images for depth of field (left rock is very near) and shot with the 17-40 at 29 mm.

I've been thinking that I should really switch to fixed focal length lenses for resolution, but truth is, not only are the zooms handy, often I'm in a position where there is only one right camera position and you therefore have to use focal length adjustments to compose. Any attempt to use fixed focal length lenses would result in significant cropping which would probably cancel the increased quality from the lens.

I see that my ReallyRightStuff nodal slider has arrived at the post office so one option would be to do more stitching - so instead of cropping to adjust composition, I'd actually add pixels. Of course, stitching becomes a real pain when you have to shoot multiple exposures to handle increased dynamic range or for depth of field.

No comments: