Thursday, August 24, 2006

Getting Published

I'm uncomfortable tooting my own horn but it's not possible to talk about getting published without saying that I've been in Lenswork, Black and white Photography, Black and White, Focus, and Outdoor Photographer (the British one).

The following suggestions may be of help in upping the odds of success.

My first publishing forray was in Black and White Photographer from Britain and I deliberately chose my images from the badlands. Badlands photograph very well in black and white, they are completely unavailable in Britain and you don't see a lot of good published images. I provided a consistent theme for the images even though they were shot on 4X5 and digital.

I don't think presentation of the prints is a big issue - they should be clean, flat, corners not bashed, consistent in tone and surface but an expensive portfolio box is not needed.

My next success was with the industrial images to Lenswork - again a consitent theme and not your typical waterfall pictures (trust me, they see thousands of them and the odds of you coming up with a new and better way of looking at a waterfall that will interest them is close to zero.

For Black and White's portfolio constest I actually sent two entries, one industrial and the other landcape. The landscape had the theme of weather - showing clouds, ice, and snow. Focus magazine was again industrial but this time in colour (different images).

For the most part my images don't look like those from any well known photographer - fortunately I have admired so many good photographers that I now have my own style. You have to ask yourself if in fact you have a style and is it any different from hundreds of other photographers also submitting their pictures. Clearly you want to submit the ones with 'your' style, not the ones that are so typical of the genre (no matter how well done).

Catchy titles and detailed explanations of how hard you worked to get the image are totally irrelevent.

Brooks Jensen of Lenswork has had some excellent editorials about submitting work for publication and I suggest you check his website and pick up some of the back issues that address the subject.

Of course, it's a given that you have a good idea of the kind of work a magazine is likely to publish. That said, if lots of people think them good, send them anyway, maybe this is the different that is exactly what the editor is looking for.

in general, I have not sent any bio until asked - if they like the images, the'll ask, if they don't save your breath (fingers).

I had a fair idea that my work was decent going in - after attending a workshop and seeing what other people produced and comparing my work to the instructors and factoring in the comments from both instructors and attendees, I figured I was ready. I would encourage you to seek similar feedback before considering submitting. It's all very well asking friends and family but you really need an independent appraisal before sending off your work.

Good luck in your submissions, It may seem hopeless but remember that without our submissions these magazines couldn't function.

No comments: