Thursday, January 04, 2007

Exercise in Cropping


The image above is my interpretation but in doing the cropping I also realized that there were a number of ways this abstract image could be cropped. For example, I cut off the white elipses (are they elipses when they have pointed ends?) and it would seem to fit the rules of composition if I had cropped right at the point of the elipse. I didn't because I prefer it this way. How would you crop this image?

The original image is below.

By the way, this is the first ever image from my 300 mm. plus 1.4 ex. that I have actually used and I have been carrying the lenses for almost a year now.

5 comments:

George Barr said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

These are fabulously rich images and it's interesting to see you working with them. Each white void shape you cut off is called a "lens" (see Wikipedia, which you should have guessed! I think you did absolutely the right thing cropping them partially.

My preferred crop starts from yours, then first trims 22 pixels from the top to reduce the less harmonious busy-ness in the left half there. I also crop up from the bottom by 10 pixels. The result is here.

For me this emphasizes some nice, flowing lines by bringing them closer to the corners where our eye readily picks them up. I also like the slightly more peaceful feeling of the resulting horizontal format, as opposed to your vertical. Not better, just different. Perhaps more andante than allegro. What do you think?

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, looks like Blogger added something to the link URL, which should be just: http://stephendurbin.com/photos/Barr-wire-cropped.jpg

Trying again ...
cropped image

Andy Ilachinski said...

Wonderful experiment...this image is ripe with all kinds of aesthetic possibilities, all subtlety different, and many simply beautiful. Truly a world-within-a-world! Here are three "observations" of some mini-worlds lurking within your shot:

http://www.tao-of-photography.com/Experiments/wireunaltered-5608_cropA.jpg

http://www.tao-of-photography.com/Experiments/wireunaltered-5608_cropB.jpg

http://www.tao-of-photography.com/Experiments/wireunaltered-5608_cropC.jpg

Anonymous said...

Lovely image and great cropping George. The original is neat but the eye does wander a bit and the new cropping is so nice and contained. Even my wife liked it and I actually think the moire pattern is fun too. Not a distraction.