Monday, April 09, 2007

Burned Tree


Not on call today and took advantage despite poor forecast to head to the mountains. My first stop and reason for the trip was to rephotograph a rock cut north of Lake Louise photographed three years ago. Actually it was a bit disappointing - not only could I not see the original images photographed with a smaller camera but I didn't come up with any wow compositions at all - perhaps in the processing - we'll see.

On the way home though, I caught this stump sitting lonely in a meadow - don't know how it could have been burnt - in a national park and well away from other trees (there had been a prescribed burn 13 years ago east of this stump). Anyway, there it stood, about 20 feet high and completely charred, glowing in the cloudy bright to filtered sun lighting (so much for the bad forecast).

1 comment:

Howard Grill said...

George, you are making me and probably many, many others quite jealous. Had a day off so you took a quick trip out to photograph in Banff and Lake Louise for the day, did you? Yikes, what am I doing here in Pittsburgh???????

Actually, I spent my honeymoon out in Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper 19 years ago, flying in and out of Calgary. One day I will get back!