Friday, April 13, 2007

Things To Photograph

This is as much for my edification as yours - I plan to read it next time I'm stuck for something to photograph.

Drawers - do some still life images based on the contents of a drawer
Tools - both hand and power, old and new - pick up some goodies at garage and yard sales
Back Alleys
Bridges
Views From Parking Garage Roofs - or any other roofs you can get easy access to
City Hall
The Local Campus
Freeways
Shoes
Feet
Fast Disappearing Professions - shoe repair, barbers, sharpening shops, tailors?
People walking dogs - the local off leash area might make an interesting project, hmmn, I quite like that one.

Please add your suggestions if you are willing to give them up - frankly even if you do, I'm sure there are others who have already done all of these things and anyway, any two of us will almost certainly see things differently, and it's a big world - there's room for two of us. John Sexton and Bruce Barnbaum co-exist and as far as I know, don't get into fist fights over which tree is whose.

Think I'll gradually come up with other ideas and if I get lots of good suggestions, eventually upload the whole list. In case of Photographic inertia, read this!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you folks are looking for ideas of common things to shoot, check out the work of Denis Olivier. He makes fantastic images out of everyday scenes.

http://www.denisolivier.com/

Chuck

Anonymous said...

George, I would have thought that at least somewhere near the top of your list would be old/abandoned/ruined/rusting things!

I find that I can kick start the flow sometimes by concentrating on an element rather than a particular subject, like lines/rough/smooth - or a particular colour theme - muted/saturated/contrasting/bleached - just to help get the mojo working...

Jeff Jones said...

I plan to take some pictures of black birds. I live and commute in a rural area and about every half-mile there is a blackbird sitting on something - grass, weeds, signs, posts, etc. With the coming of spring they are a welcome sight.

Also - grain silos. Most of these are concrete and some have an eroding white-wash. Interesting shadows are created by shadows hitting the curved silos.

Also - I just got an digital SLR. I want to try to take decent BnW portraits with ambient light and te on-camera flash.

Also - Still life of silverware and cooking utensils. I did some that worked out pretty good last year using a bicycle LED and some Masonite.

Anonymous said...

You can add on your list panoramic images of all kinds. Nature, architecture, event, your own street. I do a lot of panoramic picture taking (http://www.photojpl.com/)
You blog is awesome! I discovered it yesterday.
Jean-Pierre, a french guy from Canada.

Anonymous said...

FLOWERZ FLOWERZ FLOWERZ give u a tremendous picture...NO matter what,when,or where.