Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Style

No, I'm not referring to whether it's ok to wear a baseball cap (it is, but it lowers your IQ 10 points, 20 if you wear it backwards). What I'm talking about is the way some people (generally people who are better known than you or I), have a defineable style, that their images are recognizable by their style, and that better or worse, this is something that galleries and publishers look for.

So this raises the following questions:

1) is it good or even essential to have a style?

2) how do I go about buying one if they are that important?

3) doesn't sticking to one style translate into boring and repetitive?

4) what the hell is style anyway? If I only photograph frogs is that a style?

OK, here's my thoughts and observations on the subject:

- style is how you photograph something, not what you photograph

- style can change over time - a photographer might be known for his dark moody prints, and for any one of a variety of reasons, decide to or happen to change style to high key printing.

- having a style gives a consistency to a body of work which makes it more salable, looks better in a show and is more likely to be accepted by the powers that be.

- style can be based on equipment and how it's used - grainy hand held closeups , slow shutter speed with the subject showing some movement. On the other hand it doesn't have to be - I have been printing a portfolio of badlands images and they are a mix of 4X5 and digital and I defy anyone to tell which is which.

- style can be copied - Michael Kenna is known for his moody simple compositions, often in poor weather or at night, square format, black and white. These are straight forward ideas which anyone could copy. It begs the question of whether they could do it as effectively as Michael and even if they could, why bother, Michael already does it very well thank you.

- my own photography didn't take off till I stopped trying to be Ansel Adams - an experience a number of us have had judging by magazine bios.

- photography is hard enough without wasting time working on several different styles at once - we need to spend enough time and energy working in one style that we get good at it. There's nothing wrong with changing styles - if Picasso could change style, why not us - but remember he did it after being in the previous style for 10 years - and he worked at it full time - for the average part time photographer, that would imply a change in style about once every lifetime.

- if you can't buy syle at B&H or Calumet, how do you go about acquiring style? I think that for most of us is simply happens over time - we lean towards doing things a certain way, photographing in a particular way, printing to a certain level of darkness or contrast. I suspect that successful photographers none of them went out and decided that to be great they needed a style and planned one out.

- even if people normally stumble into a style over time, should you actually make an effort to acquire a style - should you in fact select a style from an imaginary style catalogue - # 33, with a 5% additional darkness and a sprinkle of highlight bleed - please. I don't know the answer to this one - I am sceptical of doing it deliberately - I suspect that one has to have reason to move in a certain direction - Picasso didn't move into his cubism period because he felt it would be good for business - for years it wasn't - he moved that way because he needed to express himself and this was a way to do it.

- deciding on a style as a plan of attack is rather like deciding to photograph dogs with clothes on (the dog) because you hear it sells well - a bit too calculated - I can't help but feel that style could come from the soul, not the brain. No proof, just instinct.

- having a style implies moving beyond the experimental stage - an area many hobbyists find themselves stuck in - it means that having experimented you find something that works for you, perhaps is even important to you - and translates your ideas into prints.

This then begs the question - do I have a style - I think I do - but perhaps others are far better judges of that - anyone care to describe my style? It can't be subject matter - you have seen me post pictures from landscapes top abstracts to industrial to underwear to a dirty bathtub. I shoot with lenses from 17 to 300 mm. so that isn't it. I shoot both colour and black and white. Some of my images are long and narrow while many are square - so it isn't going to be anything as simple as that. Perhaps what this is telling me is that in fact I don't have a style even if I think I do. I'd be interested in your opinion. Remember, this has nothing to do with good or bad, nothing to do with the quality of images, just simply is there anything which ties my images together?

While you are at it, see if you can put in writing your own style and lets see how people describe their work.

13 comments:

thechrisproject said...

Have you ever tried to shoot with a cap on forwards? You have to turn it around!

I'm in that space that is hopefully a transitional one where I'm still experimenting in a lot of styles, but I feel like things are slowly coalescing. We'll see how that works out.

Anonymous said...

This whole issue (and what you write about 'style' fits in a much larger picture, I feel) is something I think about a lot. And deep down I don't think I should do that.
A danger, I feel, in trying to 'copy' styles is that you can lose your own center, your own reason for taking pictures. If you go with a style because it will sell, then, I feel, you are lost. The meaning of your effort has been taken over by others.
One thing that perhaps can be good is what the previous commenter said. Experimenting with different styles as a means to learning and coming up with something one feels comfortable with sounds good. Just as long as the end result has more emphasis in one's thinking that the process.
As for the cap, yes, you have to turn it around to take a picture. Does that mean my IQ falls each time? Actually, when I compare my camera images to the real images, I can believe it!

Anonymous said...

To start off, George, I think I would describe your style as "environmental still life with an emphasis in texture". Of course, that's my overly simplistic interpretation of your work.

That being said, I think "style" is a dangerous issue for a photographer on which to dwell. As Lane alluded, trying too hard to obtain and maintain a style can limit a photographers vision and adversely affect their images.

Personally, I do not think I have a certain style, unless "mediocre black/white" counts as a style, nor do I wish to contemplate the idea. I'll leave that for third-parties to decipher after pondering my collection of images.

Andy Ilachinski said...

Not to sound new-age-ish or to wax mystical, but...(very seriously) "style" is IMHO a prime exemplar of the set of "features" (others use to describe US) that can only be obtained (by us) by deliberately NOT paying attention to it. Put another way, the worst possible way to achieve a personal "style" is to consciously seek to fashion one. The best way? (Literally) stop thinking about it, even musing about it in private, and become as good a "fine-art photographer" as you can possibly become....in the process of doing so, at some magical, but fuzzy moment (that will likely stretch over several years), you will find that more and more people (other than you!) will be referring to YOUR style ;-)

Paul Perton said...

If you read the legendary John Peel's semi-autobiography (his wife finished it after his death), you will discover that he believed that he decline of the British Empire was due to the arrival in England of the baseball cap.

While not entirely true, his argument certainly has its merits...

Paul Perton
Cape Town

Anonymous said...

George, this is something that I think about from time to time, though I try not to think of it deeply.

I don't know that I have a style, per se, unless eclectic is a style. :-) I shoot whatever I want however I want.

I'm more interested in the feeling that I get from taking the picture and any style that I may have will probably show up in post processing. I do have preferences there. I prefer higher contrast, more saturated color images and, sometimes, stark, contrasty black and white images. However, these are processing styles, not shooting styles.

I'm no entirely sure what a shooting style is, though! On tripod, off tripod, generally high, generally low, subject selection, blah, blah, blah. I'm not even sure if it is important.

I think that I agree with Chuck. I'll let someone else take a guess as to my style, because I surely don't know.

doonster said...

Without trying to be too prosaic, I've noticed something in your photos: fractals (or something like it). It's the symphonic quality of subtly repeating patterns that I notice. Often it runs at several resolution levels, too. I think this is why you can crop the shots many ways and still get good pictures: the depth of repeats within repeats.
Just one man's view and I'm far from a practiced art critic.

Howard Grill said...

Lots of really great comments and advice here.

However, since you asked, I think if one were to describe your style it would have to include something along the lines of "....uses high contrast to bring out and accentuate otherwise subtle detail and give the image a beautiful, almost ephemeral, glow..."

Also, I think you have a particular affinity (is that part of style?) with subjects that are not macro, but not grand alandscape, and yet they tend to be smaller than the so called intimate landscape. My favorite images of yours are the ones where you take a 'hunk' of something and isolate it, letting its own innate patterns stand on their own. The 'hunk' is usually much bigger than a macro shot, but yet smaller than an 'intimate landscape' shot....maybe a tree trunk, maybe a machine, maybe a city building, but standing on its own merits and in often in virtual isolation from its surrounding environment.

But then again, as I think about it, since those are the shots of yours that I am most drawn to does that mean that it is your style...or maybe it means that is what I would like my style to be. Now I have myself wondering if I am trying to define you (style) or me (what I like). Ah...it gets complicated.

George Barr said...

Good one, Howard!

George

Mark said...

Sometimes I wonder if having a 'style' means limiting particular subjects that you shoot. Since I am interested in so many aspects of nature, I see that as a hard thing to get a grasp of. With that,in my own self-analysis of my own work, I sometimes see it as being somewhat scattered because I change subject matter often. It is hard for me to photograph a bird and a rock in the same way.

Anonymous said...

What exactly is the definition, in this case describing a photographer, for the word "style"?

Are we talking about modernism vs. post-modernism, low key vs. high key, or f/64 vs. selective focus? Too many choices, me thinks.

George Barr said...

Clearly it's unclear. Perhaps painting can point us in the right direction - people in the know can often look at a canvas and identify the painter (or at least school of) when they look at an image. They do so based on some things which aren't equivalent like brush strokes, but they also take into consideration the colours used, subject matter, composition, tonality, perspective, the way background elements are represented, the lighting used - all these have equivalents in photographic prints.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I don't think that the analogy with painting is a very good one. A painter has control over everything in his painting: subject matter, composition, light and lighting, mood, brush-strokes, etc. A photographer can change a few of these, but not to the same extent as a painter. So I think it is easier for a painter to "fall into" a style and have his paintings be attributed to him (or his school of painting).

That said, I would find it good to have a style. It would give me a bit of security and would limit the possibilities of how to approach a scene. But I don't have a style (yet), and that also has its positive sides, e.g. I have all the freedom I want, and I don't have to please anyone or fulfill anyone's expectations.

And now about George's style. I think that there is a style, or at least a "strain of common aspects" of most images. And if occasionally an image falls outside of this "strain", then let's just call that one "an experiment". I see the following common aspects in most of George's images: the main subjects are lines, shapes or patterns; huge DOF; subject matter dictates crop ratio; abstract images are quite complex; less abstract images are quite simple; every aspect of the image is very carefully controlled (nothing happens at random).