Tuesday, November 21, 2006

More About Leaves In Bowl Image

it occured to me you might want to know that the bowl image is actually six photographs - I found when taking it that the depth of field at f16 was not enough to keep the rim of the bowl sharp when the leaves were the focal point so I shot two sets of images. As

I was using the 90 ts-e and shot the image as a three shot stitch (left shift, neutral, right shift), that actually made 6 images. I wasn't sure how well things would come together but in fact I took each pair of images (near and far focussed) and blended them in Helicon Focus, then saved them as tiff's and then brought the three output blended images into PTGui for stitching. There was no difficulty with the stitching and the result looks good.

There's no reason to rush out and purchase a tilt and shift lens though - the same thing could have been done with any lens that focused down to about 2 feet at 90 mm. Zooms have pin cushion and barrel distortion but most stitching software can take this into consideration when stitching the images.

I'm not sure that PTGui is set up for the flat stitches (where you slide the sensor over but don't rotate the whole camera) or not but as it hasn't had any difficulty with the 90 ts-e, I'm fine with it the way it is. It might have more difficulty with one of the wider tilt shift lenses as there is more correction for perspective at the edges of the image as you go wider. Actually a quick visit to the PTGui website showed that in fact they have a fix for wide angle shift lenses here

No comments: