Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Is Home or Away Better - Where To Photograph

I can only speak to my own experience here but it's my conclusion that I do my best work in areas I have visited before so I suspect the philosophy of 'do France and move on' wouldn't work for me. I'd have to be able to go back. Certainly if you factor the amount of time spent photographing and the number of good images - travel isn't as successful for me as shooting locally. I can produce an image I'm happy with somewhere between every second and every trip photographing for 3 hours each. Travel photography has been less than half as productive. Now my wife is pretty understanding - I can disappear for hours at a time photographing while she strolls on the beach so that isn't the issue. I can get pretty excited about the material I'm photographing so finding stuff isn't the issue. It seems that being excited about the possibilities of subject matter isn't enough. A return visit will pay dividends. There's a lesson there, at least for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No doubt I'd give "home" thumbs up. Even if the locations are really good, there are usually too many distractions while traveling for me to do any good work.
I usually get more excited when photographing on a travel, but I also get more disappointed with the results when I get home.

Billie Mercer said...

My "home" is now in Mexico but I've had a hard time moving beyond the postcard level in the colonial town where we live. It is taken a while but finally when I decided that I would focus on my colonia or subdivision, I feel that I'm beginning to move below the surface.