Thursday, December 28, 2006

New Years Resolutions

Hey, this is my list - go make your own. Still reading? Well, maybe my list isn't all that different from your list, so here goes.

1. Photograph more often. Instead of taking several hours to photograph seriously, I want to do small projects - around the house, in the garden, the neighbourhood, etc.

2. I want to add at least one more class of photographs to my current landscape and industrial images - I'm thinking of still lifes as it meshes nicely with 1. above, requires no travelling, can be done while on call, isn't dependent on daylight, etc. It will be hard to do something not already done before, but I think I'll just photograph things I like to look at and if they happen to have been done before, well too bad.

3. This is the year I HAVE to back up all my raw files. I have already learned that raw processors improve over time as do sharpening techniques and black and white conversions so there are three good reasons to keep the raw file indefinitely! I even purchased the hard drive upon which to place them.

4. I'm going to try to be tidier - but I don't hold out muc hope - currently the desk upon which this computer sits has less than six square inves of space visible - and that includes where I move the mouse round. I tell myself that the payoff for being a slob is that I'm creative - yeah, right, nice try. I really do have to try harder.

5. I'm going to submit my work to at least four different galleries, 4 different publications, and at least four other places that can take work, before the end of the year.

There, that will do for a start. Now work on your photographic best intentions list.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there, only came across Behind The Lens today (quiet day at work, thankfully).

My (photography) resolutions for this year are similar to yours.

1. Photograph more often
It's now January 21st (where has the year gone?) and I've been out every day, sometimes for no more than half an hour, looking for something to shoot. I've been restricted weekdays with not being able to travel far from my workplace and have been trying to see my home town with new eyes.
I bought an old Russian Smena Symbol 35mm camera on a whim and I'm working on taking a photo a day for the year with it. Just got my first roll back and I'm pleased to say the camera works well (I had started the year with the Smena untested, which was a tad foolish).

2. Use *all* my equipment
I own a small selection of lenses for my Nikon D70 and now Nikon F90x, but also filters, bellows and macro adaptors. I need to use what I own, otherwise I really should sell it and use the money for something else.
I also own a selection of 120 roll film cameras (one end: plastic Holga/Diana, the other: the hewn from iron Mamiya C33). Thanks to an impulse buy from ebay I have several hundred rolls of 120 Fuji (for just over $60!).
I need to work out what works for me and what doesn't. Strangely, since getting into digital photography I've (re-)discovered film photography.

3. Back up my RAW files
Heh, like you I have the almost fulll external harddrive and bought expensive DVDs for archiving, but just haven't gotten around to doing it. I'm just about to buy a second external drive (twice the space for the same price, naturally).
I suppose you can add catalogue my film negatives and slides properly, and make archival quality scans, to that point as well.

4. Be more organised / efficient
Keep a notebook for ideas, locations anything that contributes to my photography. De-dust that D70 sensor, keep lenses clean, batteries charged, film organised. Don't waste time looking for something that should be at hand. It also means get a standardised workflow for RAW processing & scanning and tidy my desk.

5. Get my work noticed
(even for people to just say "no thanks").
Online printing is now advanced enough to give cheap quality prints & enlargements. I have started looking at some of my work in a frame on a wall in natural & electric light, instead of just on a computer monitor. There are places to exibit photographs in my home town, I'm certainly better than some of the work I've looked at. Get my photos up on that wall too.

6. Relax
The last 18 months I went through some time when I felt I had no inspiration, too pressurised to do much at all. Luckily, that has now eased and I can enjoy taking photos again. I'm not doing this as a job, so it should be fun.

7. Keep learning
*Read* my camera instruction manuals, read about past photographers / artists. Work out what makes a good photograph and try and apply it to my own work.


Wow, I wrote more than I expected to, originally it was going to be simply: "take more photos" & "use all my camera gear",but it's good to see it in print and my resolutions still in force three weeks into the new year.

Regards,

Jon