Tuesday, July 31, 2007

From The Files


I am working on a book on photography, at the request of the publisher, no less, covering the creative aspects of the art. To go along with the introduction to the book I thought I'd look out some old images. I have an Epson 4870 flatbed scanner which has done a great job on my medium format negatives but fully expected to have to purchase, borrow or get scanned on a dedicated film scanner my 35 mm. negatives.

Still, nothing lost by trying the flatbed and you see the results above. I shot this image in 1967 on a trip to Britain with my parents, at the Park of Blenheim Palace, birthplace of Winston Churchill.I wasn't very good but sometimes I'd see something special. The image isn't super crisp, being hand held at a low shutter speed, but the image itself is so nice I at least am prepared to overlook that.

I was amazed both at how well the scanner did - retrieving all the detail that wet prints ever made and a bit more besides. The contrast range is huge because although photographed on a rainy afternoon, the shadowed area of the tree is in dark forest.

Digitally I have now made a better print than any I'd been able to make in the wet darkroom days including after I finally became a good printer.

I did try using 'Digital Ice' to remove any marks on the film but it was a disaster, radically altering the image - so I rescanned with no sharpening, no masking, no dust removal and did it by hand, which didn't take all that long. I have to say that for all the fuss made over the years, my negatives of 40 years ago kept in plastic binders in glassine holders have survived very well thank you and frankly are a lot cleaner than the images stored in so called archival plastic sleeves (which I suspect encourage static).

Dust is removed with a combination of the clone stamp tool and healing brush in Photoshop - the latter for small round dust spots and the occasional hair in even aeas, the clone tool for better control in areas of changing brightness.

I have made one change to the image - I had never liked that the fishermen were partially hidden by the tips of some branches so I elected to remove them in Photoshop. Idally I'd have noticed this when I took the picture but there's no guarantee I could have done anything about it since moving to the right to expose the fishermen might have created other image problems.

The top of the tree appears extremely dark relative to the rest of the tree and I think this might just be more flare below rather than more shade to the trunk above. Anyway a bit of work with masked curves adjustment layers fixed that.

I believe I shot this with my Pentax SV (clip on meter) and 35 mm. lens. I must have made the image wide open because you can see the fishing line in the image (which is pretty good resolution) but the base of the tree is soft as well as the boys (so it isn't movement). I did a little sharpening of the boys with Photokit Creative Sharpener for a modest improvement.

This has been a favorite image for many years and I'm glad to be able to make a good print of it again. It will be the first image in the new book about which I hope to tell more in the next month.

8 comments:

doonster said...

One comment on Digital ICE: assuming the original image is B&W film, then ICE shouldn't be used - I believe the makers even state as much. Something in the way it works means it doesn't like black and white originals.

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to hearing about this book, George. Very exciting.

Ade said...

A few years ago, I lived near by Blenheim Palace and, not having much else to do at that time in my life (I hadn't yet discovered photography!), would often wander round there during bank (national) holidays, sometimes stopping for a snooze under a favourite tree. It might easily have been the spot you caught so well here or it might not, but your photo took me back to those lazy afternoons.

Howard Grill said...

George, congratulations on the book. Put me down for a copy....hope I can get you to sign one for me!

Anonymous said...

So, will you be "beta" testing the book?

Sounds crazy but it has been done before. A sampling of people with various levels of experience (rank noob to master) see if the work is understandable, technically correct, and point out those missing bits that "everybody knows". Typos, grammer, and speeling mistakes don't count.:)

Of course non-print,non-archive NDA applies.

George Barr said...

What, me make mistakes?

Actually the book has already gone to the publisher already, not being a technical book I'm less concerned about those kind of errors, spelling wise I already know I'm hopeless but I'll leave that to the editor to fix.

Anonymous said...

George, what are the holders you use to store negatives?

Oh, and the digital ice infrared light doesn't like silver crystals at all, similar problem with kodachrome I believe too.

George Barr said...

Sam:

Latterly I was using polyethylene as recommended by the experts because supposedly glassine was terrible stuff - but my 40 year old negatives are perfect. Glassine may not even be available any more which is a pity as sliding a six strip into it was always a lot easier than with plastic.