Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Rusted Plate - Why When And Where


In response to requests, I'm going to go over the images I have selected as long time favorites and why each image interests me enough to include it in any kind of 'greatest hits' collection, and a little bit about the circumstances of photographing it.

You likely know of my interest in photographing industrial subjects, especially abandoned or old industries. I'm not above going to museums to get access to such equipment and have had considerable success doing so in the past. I had photographed at Atlas Coal Tipple historic site in the past. This is the last surviving wooden coal tower in Canada and tours of the inside are available, which I have done previously.

The coal tipple is located east of Drumheller, in the Alberta Badlands - eroded pillars and canyons along the Red Deer River. This visit was a twofer - I'd been photographing the landscape and decided to pay a visit to the museum once again. It was late in the day and it was actually closed and though I could have hopped a very low fence, I chickened out, not wanting a confrontation and noticing a number of cars parked at nearby houses. Fortunately lying around in the forecourt of the museum grounds were a number of mining machines, all too heavy to be stolen.

I spent a delightful hour wandering around looking for interesting shapes. In this case a 3X5 foot flat steel object lying on the grass. Being flat it tended to shed rain, like many old things it wasn't perfectly flat and had two low spots which collected rain and rusted differently in these depressions and that is what makes the image. As the puddles dry a series of concentric rings form and show different amounts of rust.

I like the image because of it's almost pure abstract nature - it's a direction in which I have been moving in the last few years. The colours are attractive. To me it has a bit of an astronomical look to it with two suns approaching. Alternatively you can think of it as a nude (ok, with a lot of imagination). It might even make you think of a couple of cells in an electron microscope. The two circles are just enough asymetrical to interest me - had they balanced perfectly the image would have been really boring.

This is a recent image so I can't tell if it will have staying power - the 'my favorites' is always going to be a dynamic list - with images being added, others dropped off. I'm not fixed either on the idea of 24 images so adding a new image does not necessitate dropping another.

The image was photographed with my 1Ds2 and 90 mm. lens, using shift to create a 3 image stitch. This was then slightly cropped to get the final composition. I could just as easily stitched with any normal zoom, but I did have the opportunity to match plane of focus with the surface of the plate without standing right over it and blocking the light.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea to add some context to the photograph. Who would have know about the coal mining aspect without it?

John

http://lightandshadow.my-expressions.com/

Howard Grill said...

George, I think writing about the individual images is a great idea and I appreciate being able to hear about them. To me, this has the microscope look you alluded to; like a cell having divided into two...but perhaps that is just my biology background.

I really enjoy the abstract nature and the color shades. Great idea about using the tilt shift lens to avoid blocking the light as I had never thought about using one for that reason.

I am looking forward to hearing more about the others when you have the time to explain!

Andy Ilachinski said...

Thoughtful, informative, and enlightening. In the end, I am now compelled to view (and interpret) the image in an entirely different (and much deeper) way. Nicely done! I look forward to learning of the context for your other "favorites".

andrew said...

George, I like the sheet steel photo, and acually have photographed similar steel myself. I also greatly appreciate your discussion of the process/product. But I am curious: what do you mean by "its almost pure abstract nature"? It is a photograph of a piece of steel, and quite concrete. Why is this photograph any more abstract than another? Are we even using the word "abstract" correctly?

George Barr said...

Andrew: it's just a matter of definitions. By abstract I mean that the photograph isn't obviously of any particular object - there are no physical boundaries. The viewer is free to interpret it any way they want.

By your thinking, even a shadowgram or a completely out of focus blur is a picture of something so can't be abstract but the relationship between literal images and images like the one here is very similar to the relationship between literal paintings and abstract ones, so I think the definition works.