Saturday, August 04, 2007

Better In Black And White?


I was told this morning that the cylinder image should be in black and white, so with a bit of work, here's my version in B&W. Note that this wasn't a trivial conversion - tonalities that work in colour don't in black and white and so you have to edit the image all over again - and it isn't any simple increase in contrast - local editing is necessary for the best result.

Look back at the previous post which also included an unedited version of the image - now you have an idea of how much work goes into making a good black and white print.

By the way, I have just printed this on Crane Museo Silver Rag - so far the only semi gloss real paper worth considering - despite hopes for the Innova papers. The print is very nice.

4 comments:

doonster said...

For me, this works better in colour. there are subleties of shade, colour & metallugy tha just aren't conveyed by a black and white rendition. On the other hand, maybe that's just the engineer in me coming out.

Anonymous said...

I second the comment by orcasmac. Curious as to how you took that flat image and rendered it as "round" as shown.

Void said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Void said...

I like the B&W version much better.