Saturday, March 17, 2007

Too Complicated?




When I went to bed last night, I left the colour version of this image on screen and so it was the first thing that faced me this morning when I came downstairs to check my email. I was disturbed by the clash in colour between the rocks and the green reflections in the water, and decided it was time to see if it would work in black and white. I'd worked with a similar image and decided it was too cluttered in black and white - the blocks of colour which simplified things were missing, now it was just a mish mash of stuff - definitely fiting my 'complicated doesn't cut it' entry in my blog of a couple of days ago.

This time I'm not so sure - I can 'sort of' justify it all to myself, but am I pushing it? One of the problems of blogging is that in an attempt to produce new material for entries, images are often displayed before I have a chance to live with them - thus eliminating an important editing step - still, your feedback would be helpful. In the past you have provided excellent advice on cropping, on image worth, and other aspects of the image.

So Whadda ya think?

5 comments:

Chuck Kimmerle said...

I'm with you, George. This image works better as a black and white. The rock textures, at least for me, seem get lost in the contrasting hues of the color version. Since this seems to be a photo more about texture than color, that's important.

That is certainly a macabre-looking scene, though. Sort of like a monster's lair in Hollywood movie. I like it!

Anonymous said...

I think that even in B & W it looks too cluttered and lacks a visual focus. My eyes jumped around looking for something to hold my attention.

John


http://lightandshadow.my-expressions.com/

Alan Rew said...

There is too much in this image. I think it would benefit from a severe crop.
On the larger version of this image, obtained by clicking on the small version, if you crop off the top of the image, down to about 303 pixels from the top, you have something with real possibilities as a 'little landscape'. The dark holes with points at their tops look a bit like mountains, the bulge in the foreground like a hill etc.
Regards,
Alan
alanrew42 at yahoo.com

George Barr said...

Alan: I suspect you are right - I did in fact try just that crop before sticking with the full image. Definitely one of those images that needs to be stuck on the wall and lived with for a while - then come back and decide.

The other concern I have is that it looks too harsh - while in theory I have maintained a full range of tones, it doesn't look like it - it's as if it were printed in a newspaper - I think I'm going to have to work on that too - the original image was smoother if flatter.

Aaron said...

My first thought was that there's way too much contrast, though it's not obvious from the histogram. A reverse-contrast curve seems to make it much less harsh. I guess that means I'd agree with your comment.

After all that, though, I'm having trouble getting it with the current crop.

Oddly enough it seems to work better for me as two separate images. Roughly the top third as one, the bottom two thirds as another, dividing at the edge of the pool.

I can't seem to reconcile the pool at the top and the rock shapes in the bottom in a single image.

And while the color version is less abstract and easier for me to accept(?) it's still giving me fits.

Aaron