Tuesday, March 27, 2007

You Need A Library

Do you have an idea of how much you spend in a year on photography? Yes, I thought as much! If you take your photography really seriously, I would suggest that you divert at least 10% of that amount to education - that's to say, workshops, courses, magazines and books, and I don't mean technical books, I mean books of good photographs, and mabe a few books on being creative in photography.

Here's an author I think you should know about, Freeman Patterson. He has a series of books and they are much more about being creative than technical, are full of his own very nice photography (he can hang them as well as teach them), and they have a lot of useful advice and ideas. They are largely about colour photography but the techniques can be applied to black and white as well. Here's a link to Freeman's Website.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good photo books are a must. I've noticed the ones I keep going back to are those by Adams, Atget, Szarkowski, Picker, and Bailey. All printed over 20 years ago. For "how to" I'd suggest ctein's two: Post Exposure and Digital Restoration. Adams's three (or four if you include the Polaroid book): The Camera, The Negative, and The Print will get most people off and running. There's also Examples by Adams which tell about some of his better known images.

Almost all these titles relate to film photography — but first things first. Get a grip on film and digital's a snap....

Rich Gift Of Lins said...

I totally agree. I have a few of Patterson's books, I must look at them again. I also like to pick up books with images that I may not be normally drawn to ~ emotional tension can help you explore in new ways