Tuesday, February 27, 2007

But Does It Work


I was quite excited about this image when I found it but even then I had difficulty framing it - it seemed that with the stump occupying three of the four quarters of the image, it was a bid odd with that relatively bare fourth quarter. I made a couple of stabs at making an image out of it when I returned from the trip, wasn't impressed and forgot about it. Looking over old files for a magazine submission, I decided today to have another 'kick at the cat'.

I quite like it but can't decide if I have simply 'talked my self into it' and am deluding myself.

This is a perfect example of an image that needs to hang on the wall for a couple of weeks. If I still like it after that, then it's a keeper, if by then I can't stand it's asymetry and what not, well down it comes and off to the 'might have been, almost could have done, not quite made it' bin.

I don't suppose it would surprise you to know ths bin is larger by far than my 'darn, that's a nice image' folder.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi George, It doesn't work for me! I think the more interesting part of the image is the lower right quadrant. Perhaps a closeup of that section might truly make you like it -- darken up more of the areas in between the roots, highlighting the glow of the woodiness of the root itself. Perhaps?

George Barr said...

Yes, I like small images but don't like the print and think it just doesn't have enough going for it - it hasn't been included in the portfolio I'm working on.