Sunday, February 18, 2007

Does An Image Need A Centre Of Interest?


It's generally assumed that a photograph should have a centre of interest (or possibly more than one). Does this mean that an image which has no particular areas of strong attention can't make a good photograph? What if it is the whole image that is important rather than particular parts of it? The image above has no centre of interest but I like it anyway. No one part of it jumps out at you yet removing any of the parts would weaken the image.

So, I think the answer is that yes, a centre of interest is not necessary.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the center of interest concept is more appropriate to advertising, propaganda, or journalistic photography where an image has to make an immediate point. Few have that same goal with art. I doubt War and Peace would be much regarded if only one character were interesting.

Mark said...

I guess another question would be is if there is a center of interest, does it have to be a readily identifiable subject? I guess an arguement could be made that this image's centre of interest is more abstract subjects of texture and form. I like these types of shots, I think they are more visually interesting!