Friday, February 16, 2007

It Takes Time


The image above is from our holiday last Fall. It's not that I haven't looked at this image before, it just never quite caught my attention. It seemed cluttered and the colour didn't quite work - green water to the left and an odd green tinge to some of the rocks, but not a complementary green...

Last night I decided to work with the image as far as I could take it in colour, but with the idea that I'd almost certainly switch to black and white - can't really tell you why I didn't just go to black and white first, it makes more sense, but I guess I wanted to see if the colour could be made to work - it couldn't.

In black and white and much darker than as shot, I quite like it and feel that the clutter is starting to hang together, enough to make the photograph interesting rather than cluttered (my opinion, obviously). Haven't printed it yet, but think that I might just be able to get some lovely tones out of those rocks part in shade.

3 comments:

Chuck Kimmerle said...

Yep, that is very nice. One thought, though, would be to darken those rocks at the very bottom (just a bit) since they seemed to drag my eye off the image.

Not that you haven't been told this, but you have the enviable talent of being able to pull out and keep a beautiful range of tones.

Mark said...

I know the feeling here George. I try to push as far as I can go in color, and sometimes it just doesn't work.

I would be tempted to really darken the water in this to create some interesting movement around this shot.

Anonymous said...

It's not unusual to find out a color shot is much more appealing once converted to B&W. This one looks great to me. Nice work :)