Monday, February 26, 2007

Canon 1D3 and What It Bodes for a 1Ds3

I have no use for a high speed camera like the 1D series but I have to say the changes in the newest model bode well for an upgrade to my 1Ds2 - no announcements but if it has some of the features of the 1D3 (and why wouldn't it), I'd sure be looking to find some money...

3 inch LCD screen with live view and magnification for critical focus - sounds good to me. I have a really tough time focusing with my 90 ts-e when tilting and purchased the magnifying right angle finder which helps somewhat, this sounds a lot better.

I really like the idea of composing on the LCD - something I'll address in more detail in a future entry.

Self Cleaning Sensor - what's not to like?

Better Auto Focus - not a biggie for me most of the time, but sometimes...

There's a whole list of other improvements geared more to rapid shooting and action shots and which may not move over to a 1Ds3.

There had been talk of amalgamating the two lines, the D and the Ds series but you can see that this hasn't happened this time and reading the details you can see why - it took 2 digic 3 processors to handle the 10 frames a second of the 1D3, if as is rumoured, the 1Ds3 has 22 mp, then the only way it could keep up would be to have a full frame mode and a crop mode (a la D2X) but that creates viewfinder issues and the pixels would be smaller so I can see why Canon has gone the way they have.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of the truly interesting things to my is that the wireless adaptor is also a USB mass storage controller. Meaning you can shoot directly on to an iPod or Epson P5000 or similar self-powered USB drive. No more buying masses of bigger CF cards, because the CF card is only for use when you are shooting on the move.

Since a 1Ds is out of my price range, and the 1D is probably not what I'd need, I'm really hoping to see Live View and USB mass storage support come to the 5D and 30D replacements.