Monday, September 03, 2007

Zenfolio

Aware of the limitations of my using smugmug to host my photographs, I'm always on the lookout for a better solution. Smugmug has worked well for me but it isn't exactly elegant. My wife was talking with our vet (who's into photography) and he gave her his website, which turns out to be hosted on Zenfolio and I was impressed with how clean it is, how one can navigate through the images with the cursor keys and how it resizes nicely for individual screens.

Downsides so far seem to be that Zenfolio is fairly prominent on the sites so you know you are using a hosting service, not your own webdesign, and also I don't so far see any way to have text pages.

That said, it seems worth keeping an eye on and perhaps for a larger fee in the future, more customization is possible.

Oh, and image access is commendably fast.

1 comment:

Beau A.C. Harbin said...

I just set up a Zenfolio account in the past week or so to host my web site. So far, I like the service, especially for the price. However, I wish they offered commenting on images and name your pricing, along with more customization like you said. But for $40/yr, it is a great price, even if long term it becomes just an online archive.